They turn back the clock to 1985, a year which featured ups and downs for the city and its residents. Protest featured regularly on the local news agenda with celebrity visits and fundraisers also making the headlines. Enjoy these photos, a mix from the YEP archive and others published courtesy of photographic archive Leodis, which is run by Leeds Library & Information Service, charting a year in the life of your city.
READ MORE: 21 photos of Leeds city centre shops and landmarks from the 1980s LOVE LEEDS? LOVE NOSTALGIA? Join Leeds Retro on facebook
New Briggate in July 1986. Shops to be seen include Williams’ newsagent and tobacconsts, Adel Properties estate agents, The Alternative restaurant and take-away, The Art Centre, Wilson Hotel (displaying a for sale sign), Sultan’s Kebab House, In Tone art materials and Le Carousel restaurant. The Wren’s public house is on the right, at the junction with Merrion Street.
The library at St. James’ Hospital providing a service for patients at the hospital. A stand of paperback books is seen on the right, with general fiction against the wall behind the counter. Pictured in June 1985.
The Post Office revealed plans to close Woodhouse sub-post office in September 1985 sparking a wave of protest from those who use it. Residents have started a petition opposing the closure of the post office which also takes customers from Leeds University.
The junction of Shannon Street and Marsh Lane, showing the derelict looking gable end of no. 86 Marsh Lane in the centre. Moving right onto Shannon Street, the single-storey white building is a petrol station while the taller building behind is Adleman’s Clothiers and Outfitters. On the left, the junction with York Road can be seen with the road bridge running overhead. Pictured in January 1985.
Looking east along Cross Quarry Street from the junction with Quarry Street in August 1985. After the next junction (Christopher Road) Cross Quarry Street becomes Glossop Street where a row of red brick terraced houses are seen. In the foreground are nos. 26 (left) and 24 (right) Quarry Street which are back-to-backs with 25 and 23 Christopher Road.
Through trees to St. Mark’s C. of E. Church in Woodhouse from St. Mark’s Road in August 1985. Built between 1823 and 1826, this was one of the ‘million’ churches built after the Battle of Waterloo when the government committed £1 million for the building of new churches in populous urban areas. It cost £10,000 and was designed by Peter Atkinson Junior and R.H. Sharp. Alterations to the tower and window tracery were made in 1873 by R.L. Adams and J. Kelly. The church is now a Grade II listed building.
Wellington House on Wellington Street in January 1985. The junction with King Street is on the left, with the Hotel Metropole, a Grade II listed building, at the far edge. Built in the 1900s, Wellington House was used for warehousing and storage until fire damaged in the 1980s. After refurbishment it became home to the West Yorkshire Combined Authority.
Cross Quarry Street in August 1985. The junctions with Thomas Street, Quarry Place, Quarry Street and Christopher Road are on the right before the road becomes Glossop Street as it bears towards the left. On the far left, a fence encloses the grounds of Quarry Mount Primary School, followed by the junction with Quarry Street.
Armley Branch Library at the junction of Stocks Hill and Wesley Road. Designed by Percy Robinson, the library was opened in April 1902 and is now a listed building. Pictured in June 1985.
A view looking up Bolland Street towards Quarry Mount Primary School situated on Cross Quarry Street. Terraced housing on the bottom half of Bolland Street has already been demolished and the rest would follow soon after. Pictured in August 1985.
Office buildings on the north side of York Place in January 1985.
Club legend Billy Bremner at Elland Road in October 1985..
Sir Len Hutton back in his native Pudsey in April 1985 where he unveiled a plaque to commemorate the restoration of the Brittannia Ground, now the home of the Pudsey Congs. He is pictured with Yorkshire cricketer Phil Carrick (left), Congs chairman Ralph Middlebrook (right) as well as secretary Cliff Bales and club members.
British champion Ladies Barbershop Singers Leeds-based White Rosettes, were in fine voice when they passed through Leeds City Station in February 1985. The 48 singers, pictured here being pulled along by their musical director, Clive Landey, gave commuters a taste of their talents as they set out for Holland for a goodwill visit, to raise money for local cancer sufferers.
The message is clear. More than 100 Kirkgate Market traders marched to Leeds Civic Hall in November 1985 to protest against redevelopment plans.
Comic Spike Milligan visited Austicks Bookshop on The Headrow in October 1985 where he signed copies of his latest book Where Have All the Bullets Gone? Patricia Gatehouse, left, is pictured with the former Goon during the two hour signing session.
Geoff Thompson pictured in the projection room at the Hyde Park Picture House in April 1985. “Cinema is in my blood,” he remarked at the time.
Rose Forgrove Chess Club based in Seacroft which has 80 members. They won through six regional qualifying matches before travelling down to the national final in July 1985. And when the five man team beat King’s Head by 3.5 points to 1.5 they became the first team outside London to win the minor section championship. Pictured in September 1985, back from left, are Steve Spencer, Benjamin Science, Dave Smith, Ian Smith, Luke Bond and Royston Bond. Sitting, from left are Tony Pawson, Mark White, Simon Holdsworth and Stan Alexandrowicz.
Share your memories of Leeds in 1985 with Andrew Hutchinson via email at: a [email protected] or tweet him – @AndyHutchYPN